I recently completed a graphite pencil drawing of a Weimaraner puppy as a demo for Pet Portrait class on Skillshare.
I also created a speed drawing video, which I’ve just uploaded to YouTube.
(Please note, this page contains affiliate links. This means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase after clicking on one of my links. This enables me to make an income while still providing free resources & content. Read more in my affiliate disclosure.)
The video doesn’t have narration, however, it still clearly shows my shading process as I go from the outline sketch to the completed, shaded drawing.
You can see how I work on each area of the dog’s head at a time, building up layers of pencil to create shape and form, and then adjust areas as I go to keep the shading across the whole drawing unified.
I did this dog drawing as a project walkthrough for my Skillshare class, “Pet Portraits 101: Drawings Pets in Pencil“. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to draw realistic pets, I’ve made this class just for you!
In the class, I teach you everything you need to know (even if you’re a complete beginner) to complete a realistic drawing of a pet. including:
- Basics like choosing quality materials and reference photographs.
- Fundamental drawing techniques that you’ll use for drawing any subject.
- Specialist techniques & tips for drawing fur.
- Essential observational techniques for drawing accurate outlines.
- A step by step walkthrough of drawing a dog from start to finish including real-time video, and a longer, in-depth narrated version of the speed drawing above.
The class is available on Skillshare, which means if you’re already a member you get automatic access!
And if you’re not a member, you can try out a premium Skillshare membership for 2 months for Free, when you use my teacher link.